Russian dining

I have moved to San Francisco bay area from Russia in 2002. I felt extremely nostalgic and the only thing that could cheer me up was the taste of the motherland in the form of Russian traditional food. I immediately encountered difficulties trying to locate the Russian food supermarkets and restaurants. If I only knew then what I know now, it would have saved me a lot of tears and sadness caused by unability to find my favorite dishes. This is why I started posting here.

Tuesday, June 6

Russia House

When driving South from San Francisco many people notice the Russia House restaurant and wonder about it. It is hard NOT to notice the Russia House. It is overlooking the freeway from the top of the hill with huge red letters going across indicating the name of this restaurant. It seems like that place picks it's clients rather than the opposite. It is a very expansive Russian restaurant located at 2011 Bayshore Blvd in San Francisco. It is great for big family celebrations and weddings if you are not limited by budget. When I went there for dinner I felt a little bit overwhelmed by the amount of large groups of people celebrating multiple birthdays. The atmosphere is loud and fun so this place would not quite work as a romantic getaway. The bar is great though. Has everything in it. I heard it used to sell Abthinthe while it was still legal...

Russia House
(415) 330-9991
2011 Bayshore Blvd
San Francisco, CA 94133
Directions

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best russian restaurant so far

11:41 AM  
Blogger Masha said...

Thanks for your comment David. Would you mind sharing more details about your experience there? Why did you like it?

Thanks

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great entertainment, pretty good food, good service, and affordable price make this restaurant the best in San Francisco.

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unlike others, I'm not that crazy about Russian House's atmosphere or food. It seems it's tailored to older generation of Russians in terms of music choices, etc. Quality of food wreaks of owners being cheap and in general it seems like a buffet or a diner with a few bells and whistles. Here are my 2 cents, but everyone is different of course. I generally prefer either high end good Russian stuff or a place for a younger crowd. Have you heard of Voda in SF? I hear nice things but never been. It's a vodka bar not restricted to Russians :)

10:16 AM  
Blogger Masha said...

Hmm... Vodka bar sounds interesting.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web russianfoodinbayarea.blogspot.com